Thursday, February 2, 2012

Creative Freedom

by Carrie Wells, Ed.D.
I thought I would kick off February with a simple but fun painting project with Lydia. I gave her a piece of pink construction paper, I took plates and filled them with pink and red paint, and I grabbed a bunch of different kitchen tools (including a potato masher, meat mallet, flower cookie cutter, heart cookie cutter, and whisk). It began innocently.


I quickly realized this was going to get messy, so I removed Lydia's dress. 
This is her using the cookie cutters in the red and pink paint.


Painting with the potato masher. Still not too messy.


How the heck did that happen all of a sudden??


It gets worse...


Well, here's the final product. It's definitely unique and not at all what I was expecting.


Um, yeah...this looks like something out of a horror movie...only she's still sitting upright.


I never wanted to be one of those parents who limited their children's creativity because I didn't want to clean up a mess. I guess this really proved that. That's what I call creative freedom, toddler-style!

No comments:

Post a Comment